Friday, October 21, 2011

Finding Repose in Venice. Diary Entry: Venice, Nov. 4th


The narrator continues to compliment Venice:

“[Venice] gives one, more than nature, deep calm, sincere repose.  I am not required to have any opinions-to take sides.”

What is it about a place that would make one not have to take sides or have opinions?  For one, there would not be an immense amount of advertisements encouraging purchases or endorsements.  Another would be a slower pace to life, as mentioned in the previous post.  The narrator goes on to state:

“So for three days I have sat about idly, or swung in the tender, cradle-like movement of a gondola.  It seems sometimes as though I were tasting eternity here, among these environments of age.”

When we find ourselves in a place where the demands of everyday life diminish, we dig deeper into ourselves.   Perhaps more than finding our distinct and unique views on things, we emerge not with that which needs to be defended or separates us from others as opinions might do.  But, with that which connects us to others the way wisdom and universal truths do.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful. Love the last line. it is amazing how places bring about a calm in us, and leave us feeling connected, rather than alone. Beautiful. Love the concept of your blog. Looks like I will have to find the book to read. God bless.

Sophia Khan said...

Hello Uzma,

So nice to find you here. I have been enjoying reading your blog for some time. I am sure you can find this calm in many places in India:) Yes, the power of place is quite amazing. I awoke this morning to the sun rising behind a tree that I see from my window, and it calmed an unsettling dream and welcomed me into the day.

God bless you too:)
Peace.
Sophia

pea said...

Ah, at last...but in your own sweet time. I have been waiting for you to update your blog and it was worth the wait.

So so so true. I so believe in environment, whether in nature or the ones we create at home being just so, to put us in the right state of mind. In one of my places I had something of a horizon and would often get there before the sun to just sit and watch it rise over the river...bliss!

Calm and nature is such a nice way to start a day.

Like Uzma I shall keep it in mind to find the book, I love the language in it you have posted. Very languid and peaceful. Just need to find the time with about 200 other books I'd love to read!

Sophia Khan said...

Hello Pea,

Thanks so much for stopping by here and for such lovely words. That sounds like a beautiful way to have started your day.

Let's enjoy the gorgeous colors of the turning leaves this time of year:-)

The list of books to read certainly does not get smaller. The time to read is what seems to diminish as time goes by. I remember in my teenage years, I had a favorite author who was deceased. Compared to now, I had all the time in the world to read his books. I remember convincing myself, however, to read his books very slowly and 'save' some for the future as I never wanted to not have new books of his to read. I never did finish reading his books, and moved on to other interests. I'm glad I did that, however, and I feel now I can some day go back to those words that I had so lovingly saved for future years. Your comment reminded me of this:-)

Peace.
Sophia

pea said...

Oh snap! (Ha! Ha!) I used to savour books like that too. Ah, memories...